Monday, May 7, 2012

100 Year Old Closet

This year our house turns 100. Most of the rooms in our house have the character and charm you'd expect to see in an older house {crown molding, built ins, thick baseboards}. The exception being the master bedroom closet which looked 100 years old AND not in that charming sort of way...


The joy of have having 100 year old crumbly plaster walls.  Disgusting, right?  I would often have to brush plaster dust off of my clothes.

We had been contemplating updating our closet, when one day an 8 foot shelf ripped out of the closet wall.  It was as if the even closet grew weary of looking so shabby.


The decision was made, the closet needed updating.

I am a self proclaimed home improvement junkie, thanks to my dad, SO after some begging and pleading, my dad agreed to embark on another home improvement project with my handsome husband and I.


After a weekend of dry walling, rewiring, building a shelving unit, mudding, taping, sanding, trimming, painting and crying {what is a home improvement project without a few tears}...my closet underwent a dramatic transformation from shabby to chic.


Everything now has a place...


And there is now a place for everything...


And, a girl with a blog called 'while wearing heels' needs a place worthy of storing her heels, right?


And illuminating those heels, with some under shoe rack lighting, right?


Here is a before and after as you look to the left of our closet


and a before and after as you look to the right.


My closet went from one I would cringe to enter to one I now want to entertain in :)

Knowing that this sort of transformation is possible, is what will make me continue to be a home improvement junkie.

26 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous! I love the lights on your shoes. Amazing transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a dream closet!!! WOW, I am definitely sharing with my sister in law Amy who just finished her closet too. :) Megan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, your closet turned out great! I would love to have a closet like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a super fabulous transformation! Most of my 100+ year old house has been transformed ... with the exception of two closets that truly showcase the inner bones (and age) of our home ...

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats awesome... Its so gorgeous and the lighting.... hello Hollywood... =)
    It looks fantastic... I love it..


    Carri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! That is a closet worth entertaining in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I would have been completely overwhelmed by that project, but it turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. This project overwhelmed me, hence the tears...but it was worth it in the end. No more plaster dust on my clothes!!!

      Delete
  8. I kind of suspected that you and I were kindred spirits. Now I know it to be true! Gorgeous closet transformation! (And now it's my turn to pin ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am in LOVEEEEE! what a great job! i love the shoe lights! also love how bright it looks...when i saw the shoe lights, it made me think of the closet Big had made for Carrie in sex & the city movie! oh closet LOVE! (:
    p.s.
    i wanna borrow the pink pointy toe stilettos with the bow on top! HAHAHA;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie, my fellow high heeler lover. Thanks for the sweet comments about my closet. The pink high heels...Calvin Kline from Goodwill...don't tell anyone :)

      Delete
    2. yw ma'am! oh my, u wouldve never thought it & i def. LOVE them! i need to go shopping w/u one day lol, u find all sortsa awesome goodies! (:

      Delete
    3. And then, after I took you shopping, you could cook for me :)

      Delete
  10. A 100 year old home means you must have an awesome house!! I LOVE old houses... so I'm so jealous now;) The closet makeover looks fabulous!! Your shoe display just simply rocks and makes you worthy of your blog name...lol! Cute collection of heels too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would throw a party in there!!! OMG I love your new closet!!! Isn't it funny how sometimes the projects we want most have a way of just falling (sometimes literally) into our laps!! The lighting in the shoe rack is so amazing that I have to say, though I rarely feel jealous, I had serious pangs of envy!! Lol! Enjoy!!! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's lovely! My house is so old there are no closets lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Amy! Love your closet makeover!! Great renovation - give yourself and hubby and big pat on the back for a job well done! And I am completely in love with the shoe lighting! Hello! Brilliant idea! Glad to see I am not the only one who loves her shoes!!! My hubby just doesn't understand! Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. whoa! love the lighting under the shoe rack. what a great closet!

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW, this is an incredibly gorgeous transformation!!! Could drool over your cupboard (and over those heels :-) ). Hugs to you
    jutta

    ReplyDelete
  16. Soooo I just made my husband come and look at this post. My clothing rack has fallen out of our plaster walls 3 times and now my clothes are hanging in different rooms in the house. So I showed him what you guys did and said, "Why can't you be more like those men!?" lol

    I hope my little push works :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yep, a closet I'm def jealous for! :P It's so neat that your husband made that for you!

    Samantha
    KreativeKaring.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. ...or maybe this one. (Please see my comment on your "Home Improvement Junkie" post for context. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow! your master closet is awesome! i love that under shoe rack lighting!! talk about special effects!!

    love it!!

    huggies***
    smartmomma

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks beautiful, what is the difference between plaster and drywall, up till now I thought it was the same.
    Your shoe shelving is something from a fairy tale!

    ReplyDelete

I am head over heels you took the time to leave me a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...