Thursday, August 4, 2011

C is for Crayon


In preparation the arts and crafts birthday party we had for Grace. I had feverishly started working on party favors months in advance (mostly because, I admit, I am crazy). One of which, personalized crayons.


I used alphabet silicone ice cube trays as a mold for my crayon letters.


If you are looking for the same ones I used, you can find them here.

There are so many cute silicone ice cube trays out there, please don't feel limited to use the alphabet mold. Just do a search for 'food safe silicone ice cube trays' and see what you find. I just found these...


You can buy them here. How cute would they be for a dinosaur themed party?

Grab your crayons, I found Crayola worked the best something about the color to wax ratio they use compared to generic crayons, and start to peel off the labels.


When your crayons have been peeled, start to break them into pieces and stuff your silicone mold. I used about 2 1/2 crayons on average per letter. I also stuck with similar colored crayons for each individual letter.


Preheat your oven to 225. Set your silicone molds on a cookie sheet.


Bake for 25 minutes.


This is the hardest part...wait until they have completely cooled off and solidified. If you get tempted to take the letters out before they have completed hardened, which I may have done once or twice, the result is not pretty, sad little broken letters.


Can you guess what name I was making? If you use generic crayons, you may want to try and mix the wax, which will rise to the surface of your letter, using an opened up paperclip. If you opt to do this step, you need to do it immediately before the crayon starts to solidify.

If you opt to use the letters to create personalized party favors, like I did, spell out the name, using your crayon letters on white paper and take a picture.


Once you have all your names photographed, open up a word document and insert your picture into a text box. I added 'personalized crayons' under the picture of the name, so there would be no question what their gift was. Print it out and use it for a gift tag.


Then put your crayons in a clear party favor bag, attach your gift tag and admire!


*Avoid reusing any molds for their original purpose (ice cubes or baking), if they were used to melt crayons.

Be sure to check out the Arts and Crafts Party we used these personalized favors for.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I am head over heels you took the time to leave me a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...