Tuesday, October 30, 2012

DIY Greenhouse Window

When I shared our 100 year old kitchen, I gave you a glimpse of my greenhouse window.


When we initially remodeled our kitchen,


we had the sink moved in front where the window is located.  The only problem, it left me feeling very exposed to our neighbors.


We thought adding some glass shelves and filling them with plants or herbs might give us a sense of having more privacy.

So we took a look at our window. Most windows will have quarter round trim around the window. Which is exactly what ours had.


Since we were already in the throws of remodeling our kitchen, we re-framed out our window, so the trim around our window was flat.


The rest of the process was fairly easy.

You'll need some of these cabinet support clips


And some tempered glass {the kind of glass that is smooth on the edges}.

Take the measurements of the width of your window, accounting for a little wiggle room. Most framing stores or hobby stores will be able to custom cut glass for you.


Determine how many shelves you want and where you will want them placed. Carefully measure and drill your holes. You'll need 2 holes per side, a total of 4 holes per each shelf. Insert your cabinet shelves support clips into the holes.


Attach some adhesive {tape, rubber, something that give a little cushion between your shelf and your cabinet clips} to your shelf where it will rest atop of the cabinet support clip.


Set your glass shelf on top of the cabinet shelf clips


Decorate with some plants or herbs


Stand back and watch them gRow...


*Use caution in how much weight you put on your shelves. The middle of the shelves are unsupported. Putting too much weight on your shelves, in particular the middles of the shelves could cause them to bow and break.
Link Party Websites

{T} * Be Inspired by Elizabeth and Co.   * Tutorials and Tips on Home Stories A 2 Z   * I gotta try that   * Tips and Tricks Tuesday at Stringtown Home  * Delicate Construction * The Winthrop Chronicles  * Open Call Tuesdays on Salt Tree * Adventures of a DIY MOM * Take a look Tuesday at Sugar Bee Crafts * Blackberry Vine Tuesday To Do Party Coastal Charm * My Uncommon Slice Of Suburbia  * Tip Junkie   

{W} *In Bloom Link Party *Adorned from Above * All Star Blogging Party *Well Crafted Wednesdays *What I Whipped Up Wednesdays * Homemade by You Wednesday * Whimsy Wednesdays  * Blue Cricket Design  * The Fun In Functional * What I learned Wednesday *   Home Happy Home * Someday crafts 

{TH} * Farm Girl Fest* Thursday Linky Party at Osie MoatsTaylor House ThursdayThursday's Temptation Link PartyDelightful OrderA Glimpse Inside  *  The Crafty Blogstalker * Made In a Day  * Somewhat SimpleA Little Knick Knack* House of Hepworth's * Chic on a Shoestring * 52 Mantels *
 

31 comments:

  1. that is such a great idea! love the plants and variety of vases/containers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister-in-law (of the house tour) was *just* talking about doing this in her house. I'm sending her this post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. luv it thanks! i've been wanting some shelves i just didnt know what held them in now i do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic idea, Amy. It looks so beautiful and I'm sure it's a pleasure to look out that window. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks fabulous! I love the little succulent in the topped jar :) so cute. Now I want a greenhouse window too lol. great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so lovely! i love that you chose shelves and greens to create your privacy barrier. what a beautiful display! i am pinning and going to do this to my kitchen window!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such an awesome idea! Not only does it add some privacy but also a sense of coziness to the kitchen. I wish I had a window in my kitchen...maybe the next place will:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a really cute idea, herb indoor garden!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a cute idea! I love the letters that spell out grow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like how that looks in your kitchen Amy. Great way to get some privacy in a much more creative way than just a curtain :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! I did this to my kitchen window too..only I did it with wood and only one deep shelf. I never thought of doing it with glass. Great job!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for posting this. I wondered how I could add a plant shelf to my kitchen window without doing too much damage to the frame. I'm visiting from The Winthrop Chronicles.

    Have a great week!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've always wanted to do this once I had a kitchen window! I wouldn't have thought about using glass shelves, though, it really makes it more open! Now you can grow herbs all year long! I'm so jealous! In a good way of course ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Newest follower here! I found you through the Wednesday link up! Cute blog, I can’t wait to read more!
    -meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love that! still enough to see out, of course, but still a little private from the neighbors. what a great way to utilize that space!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cool! It will definitely help with privacy, and having growing greens in your kitchen is always awesome. Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks great, and your plants seem to love it! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful remodel! The glass shelves give such a clean look to the window. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amy...your kitchen is looking like something out of a magazine! Your talent continues to amaze me! I love the playful letters on the shelf. My dream kitchen now includes glass window shelving. Hope you had a GREAT Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh how you make me wish my kitchen window had more light! Those glass shelves are dreamy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Amy,
    I am featuring this post tomorrow at Wednesday's Adorned From Above Link Party from Adorned From Above's Link Party 24. This greenhouse window came out great. I love what you did. Great tutorial
    You will find it tomorrow at www.adornedfromabove.com
    Have a great day.
    Debi @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fabulous idea!!! I definitely am stealing this because my neighbours are even closer than yours lol
    Thanks so much for sharing!
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  23. Soo pretty! I featured you today! Thanks for linking up!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great idea! Love when a problem solved looks wonderful too! Thanks so much for sharing on Busy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great idea, thanks!

    I was wondering if you could please tell me what the name of the plant featured in the right hand column, second row of this picture from your blog is, please?
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-NrA28kXScGc/UHBLJVEIgOI/AAAAAAAAJYs/TBGEK-e_fC8/s1600/kitchen+window.jpg

    I've been looking for the name forever! Thank you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter, I am not sure what the scientific name for that plant is but my mom calls them hens and chicks. They are a type of succulent.

      Delete

I am head over heels you took the time to leave me a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...