Monday, March 19, 2012

Easy Inexpensive Flower Barrette Tutorial

Spring is in the air.  Everywhere I look, flowers are blooming.  I figured it was the perfect time to share my flower barrette tutorial.  I promise, you don't need a green thumb to create these flowers.


Supplies:
Flowers
Rhinestone or bead
Glue
Barrette

Let's get started:
Grab some flowers. You'll want a bundle of flowers that are made up of single layers of petals. I found a bundle of flowers at Joann Fabric during their half off sale for $1.50 {I'll be able to make 7 barrettes from this one bundle}.


Remove the petals. The petals are usually held together with a plastic center that easily pops right off with a little tug.

I used 3 petals for my barrette {I needed to disassemble 2 flowers to get enough petals}.


Layer your petals until you are happy with the look and fullness.


Using some glue {hot gun or crafters glue}, begin gluing each petal to the next {starting with the bottom petal first}.  Glue either a rhinestone {I picked mine off of one of Grace's tiaras} or a bead to the center of the flower to cover the pin sized hole in your petal.


When your flower has dried, turn it over and glue a barrette to the back.


As easy as that, you are done.  A custom barrette completed in no time, for a fraction of the cost.


And, if you happen to have a little one that doesn't have enough hair for a barrette, attach your flower to a headband {I found FOE elastic trim works the best}.


As a barrette or a headband, for a little one or a big one {yep, I've sported these barrettes as well}, these are the perfect accessory.


Link Party Websites



26 comments:

  1. These are gorgeous. I always wondered how these were made. I'd love it if you'd share these at Whimsy Wednesdays at www.thenymelrosefamily.blogspot.com/2012/03/whimsy-wednesdays-3.html. We go live Tuesday night at 8 EST. I'm following.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny. I'll definitely stop by The NY Melrose Family on Tuesday (if not before then).

      Delete
  2. Those are adorable! I am going to HAVE to make some for myself. Your little model is absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this tutorial. I have made a ton of these over time. So easy and inexpensive! Also thank you for your comment on my blog. I will admit it made me a little mushy. I am def following your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy! Thanks for the comment, I love these bows! I may have to try them for my coworker that is having a little girl soon! Following you back!
    Amanda - Cupcakes and Corndogs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda, thanks so much, for the comments and the follow!

      Delete
  5. love the flower barretts... too cute.. so glad I found your blog through the hop...

    New follower looking forward to more cuteness. Come see me sometime .. would love to have you!

    Carri
    simplydonewright.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. These flowers are so cute! I love them!
    You stopped by my blog earlier, so I thought I'd return the gesture and let you know that your comment made me smile! I love your blog and have followed it!
    Mia x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! What a fun tutorial. I love making flowers and clips for my daughter's hair. I would love it if you would stop by and share at my Monday link party.
    http://linesacrossmyface.blogspot.com/2012/03/cure-for-common-monday-32.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable idea! Where do you get your FOE elastic? Would Hobby Lobby have it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maysem! I've only found FOE on ebay and etsy. The best part of FOE, the color selection!

      Delete
  9. Cute & Quick! Now to find an "arrangement" with variety.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays. Your tutorial inspired me to add flowers to a tutu I made for my unborn niece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, you flatter me Jenny. I hope to catch a glimpse of the tutu you made in one of your future posts!

      Delete
  11. So CUTE!! I love those! Great job!! I need to make some for my little girl! Thanks for sharing at Thursday's Temptation.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete

I am head over heels you took the time to leave me a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...