Wednesday, February 13, 2013

100 Year Old Dining Room

The house tour, I had hoped to complete in 2012, is now continuing into 2013.  So technically my house will be 101 this year.  

I warmly welcome you into our 100 {and 1} year old dining room.


Before you can appreciate what it now looks like, you'll have to take a peek at what it looked like when we bought our house {when it was a 94 year old dining room}.


Grace's first home improvement project was helping my dad and I add box moulding detail on the dining room's bare walls.


The addition of the moudlings gave this room some much needed character and charm.


Grace's second home improvement projects was helping me paint the baseboards and door frames white.


For any wood purist, before you gasp in horror.  The wood in our house was not in great shape.  Painting the baseboards and door frames white really opened up the room and brightened up the space.


We didn't stop with painting the baseboards and the trim either, using some Annie Sloan, I painted this cabinet.


Not only did it bring the back of the room another element of brightness, it also seemed to give this piece of furniture a beautiful second new life.


 Some of the other, simpler changes, was removing the dated ceiling fan


And replacing it with an updated light fixture. 


At one point, I had some burgundy curtains hanging in this room.


Actually, those curtains still are hanging in the dining room, I just turned them around and on the backside added no sew black stripes.


Some of my favorite decorating details in this room are the addition of a faux sheep skin rug to the top of my dining room table with a few of the globes I've collected on top.  Something about it makes me smile.


And a vintage English pond boat we found at a flea market.


And this area, as they say, is where the magic happens.  The blogging magic that is.  This is my Goodwill corner of the world.  The secretary is vintage Ethan Allen and hands down the most I have ever spent at Goodwill {$65}.  You may also spy my famous Goodwill chair there as well.


So, before you bid adieu to my dining room, here is the original view from my kitchen looking into the dining room.


Which now looks like this...


And that is what a 100 {and 1} year old dining room looks like.


*Like the paint color we used.  Here are the details: Behr Sag Harbor Gray.

31 comments:

  1. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK! I LOVE IT! I love that mirror above the arched doorway. I love the WHITE TRIM! I love the NEW view! Perfect!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it all and it has been fun seeing you do some of it. Still love that chair and the total score on the desk. The trim is my favorite for sure! So is this where you want your chandelier?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely gorgeous!!!
    I love moldings and add them wherever I can - you did an AMAZING job!!!
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. i would love to sit down and have dinner with you in there and enjoy all the pretty little things:) love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love love the moldings. Many times I have thought about doing something similar here but it just so would not go with this style of house.

    And good for you for painting your wood. Those no-wood-painting-Nazis really make me angry. It's your house and even if the wood was nice, you should paint it if it makes you happy.

    (I say this with a chip on my shoulder. Wen we bought our then-100-year-old+ house in Chicago, the previous owners made a big fuss about how they had restored the wood, blah-blah-blah and I swear I never felt like I could paint it even though I was dying to do so....)

    Okay, I'm better now that I got that off of my chest.

    Your DR Is beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your after picture looks like it came straight from a magazine. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a transformation it looks AMAZING! I love the wood painted white and the trim you added. The room looks so bright and airy! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. woot! woot!! i love love ♥ it!! what a transformation...sometimes we gotta wait until we are ready to show our home even if it means a 100(and 1) years after, lol!
    the last picture Amy is magazine-ready, i love how inviting it looks because it seems like it draws me in and sit and dine on that dining room...the mirror above the arch entrance is just awesome!!

    huggies♥
    rea

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have amazing taste, Amy. What a truly lovely space!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a truly beautiful room! That cabinet is my fave & your love for designs shows!
    Denise
    http://silhouettedefemme.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have such a beautiful dining room. I love the trim on the walls and the wall color. You definitely have a talent with adding accessories to your spaces. :) It's so nice. Megan

    ReplyDelete
  12. wonderful Amy! looks pretty good for a 101 yers old room :) love the details you added to the walls.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a wonderful room. You have given it a new life for the next 100 years. Love the mirrors and the painted furniture. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a gorgeous dining room you have! I love it, it's so classy and airy...great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. We are running out of rooms to improve. It might be time to move soon :)

      Delete
  15. This is amazing, Amy! Absolutely gorgeous. I am a wood purist, but sometimes drastic wood calls for drastic measures. Good call.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is just gorgeous, the mouldings are perfect. I love that Grace helped. Everything is perfect oh to have such a beautiful room. It makes me wonder what someone will think of my place with its 1970 quirks in 60 years time.

    The cabinet is my favourite

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow what a STUNNING transformation. It looks like a spread from a magazine! The trim made such a huge difference. I'm also kind of in love with those black and white striped curtains (it was genius to re-use your old curtains)...everything came together so beautifully, Amy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is amazing Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it Amy! It looks so homey and inviting. I love all the changes you made to it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful. I spy Grace's "blogging" station right next to her Mum's and your new silver vase on the newly painted cabinet! The globes are beautiful too. I think you have such a great eye for Goodwill Hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is gorgeous! I love the moldings and I'm a huge fan of painting wood if it doesn't work for you. I love the character of your house.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just beautiful! I love seeing where the blogging magic happens too!

    :) Linda

    ReplyDelete
  23. it's gorg!! you need to do room boards! - you have such an eye for these things. i totally understand the painting wood thing too. our house while very very new has tons of wood but it's not pretty or even stain grade wood. so I'm painting it over this coming year.

    ReplyDelete
  24. AH-MAZING Amy!! You have an absolutely stunning home. And you are truly an inspiration. You really should think of flipping homes professionally.... you definitely have a natural talent for interior design. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful. I've said it before but I'll say it again..to the wood purists - that's why paint stripper was invented.

    Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Amy,
    Now, that's a transformation! Absolutely beautiful. I really love the cabinet re-do. And I always love your goodwill finds. I think if your blog was all goodwill finds and the things you do to them, I would be just as happy. lol!
    Thanks for sharing, Di

    ReplyDelete
  27. ok, you are amazing. also, the picture of you working on the baseboards with grace clinging to you is beyond precious!! My middle child clings to his dad while he works on the house and never leaves his side. i find the bond between parent and child so amazing.

    Great job on the dining room!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Janiene. How sweet that your middle child does the same with his dad, when working around the house. Those will be happy memories for them both one day.

      Delete

I am head over heels you took the time to leave me a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...