Monday, July 29, 2013

Watercolor Embroidered Mason Jars

With mason jar crafts and creations all the rage, I how have finally succumb to the craze...in my own way, through embroidery.


These watercolor embroidered mason jars were inspired by Cresendoh, you can see the full tutorial at their site.


I took their tutorial and made a few minor changes.  Where they stamped a mason jar onto fabric to act as a pattern, I hand drew my mason jar.

Into an embroidery hoop, I layered the following:  my hand drawn mason jar fabric followed by a layer of batting and finally another layer of white fabric.


*Using a stem stitch, I embroidered the mason jar.  I used dark brown embroidery thread for the jar, gray for the lid, red for the lab and dark brown for the word on the label. {These steps were not included in the tutorial by Cresendoh.}

When my embroidery was complete, I applied blue watercolor, using the technique described by Cresendoh.


After a few trials and errors, I decided to leave my mason jar untrimmed until I applied the watercolor and it fully dried.  I feel like it left the edge of the mason jar and batting beneath cleaner.

 

When completely dry, I cut my mason jar out, cutting around the embroidered stem stitch I made outlining the mason jar.

I applied no fray to the edge of the 'grace' jar.  No fray was not applied to the 'hope' jar and you can see, over time, some fraying did result.


Attach some floral wire to the top of the mason jar. 


And hang.


And, I am absolutely in love with the results. 


I hope you'll decide to make some of your own.


If you liked this tutorial, make sure to check out my 'Make a Wish' embroidery pattern and tutorial.

Linked to:

{T} *From Dream to Reality Link Party ** Thursday Linky Party at Osie Moats * Be Inspired by Elizabeth and Co.   * Tutorials and Tips on Home Stories A 2 Z   * I gotta try that   * Off The Hook Link Party  * The Winthrop Chronicles  * Open Call Tuesdays on Salt Tree * Adventures of a DIY MOM * Take a look Tuesday at Sugar Bee Crafts * Blackberry Vine Tuesday To Do Party Coastal Charm * My Uncommon Slice Of Suburbia  * Tip Junkie   

{W}*Riverton Housewives Round Up  *Adorned from Above *Well Crafted Wednesdays *What I Whipped Up Wednesdays * Homemade by You Wednesday * Whimsy Wednesdays * The Fun In Functional * What I learned Wednesday * Someday crafts 

{TH} A Glimpse Inside  *  The Crafty Blogstalker * Made In a Day A Little Knick Knack * House of Hepworth's  * 52 Mantels *
 

30 comments:

  1. My love for Mason jars (OK, really any jar!) has been around LONG before the rage. And I was hoping you were going to say you are going to custom make these in your Etsy shop :)
    LOVE these so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute! Love the heart in the bottom of the love jar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh that is so pretty and so clever. I love this there are so many things you could do with this idea. The jars are just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! They turned out lovely and I've never seen anything like them before. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE these! You're so creative. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute!! I've been thinking about a paper pieced mason jar for a while now...maybe I'll see if I can't whip something up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love, love this!!!! Shared with my mason jar FB fans. Can I also feature it on the Mason Jar blog?

    :) Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am totally loving this! Too stinking cute! You do incredible work! Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these Amy! They are sooo adorable, and the words you chose are perfect. I've never done embroidery, but you make me want to try. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. EEEEEeeeeeeeeek! These are so flippin' cute! Is there anything that you CAN'T do?!
    -Heather
    www.stringtownhome.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, you are far too kind. There is plenty I can't do :)

      Delete
  11. So pretty, really love your take on the jar craze. Your embroidery skills are fabulous, and the watercolour is lovely!

    Hugs, Estelle xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this! Your embroidery projects are always so amazing. And I love the watercolour treatment - will you use that in another project?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Amy,
    Oh wow! Love these, so pretty. I think you could sell them on etsy too. I haven't seen anything like this. Just adorable:)
    I'm curious, about how long was the whole process? Thanks, Di

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a cute and unique idea!! Love embroidery and love mason jars... so easy sell here. ;) They would make for cute ornaments. I'm pinning this. Thanks for sharing Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I saw these on Linda's page yesterday and loved them. They are so sweet and I love that you drew the jars. Do they have a permanent home?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your idea. Are you going to sell them on Etsy?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh you are so sweet. Thank you so much Amy. With all the things you have done, I am sure this would be a piece of cake for you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Be still my vintage blue Ball mason jar loving heart!! My sewing machine and I have been getting better acquainted this last month, so perhaps some variation of this lovely idea is in my near future...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula! I've missed you. Thank you so much for the very sweet comment. You'll have to share pictures of anything you end up making.

      Delete
  19. These are amazing! I love the idea of painting fabric with watercolours. Love love love! X

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is absolutely adorable! Cutest banner I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a cute idea!!!! Your little mason jars adorable, so beautifully done!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Suzanne of Simply Suzannes at Home

    Oh my goooooodness!!!! These might be one of the cutest things I've ever seen!!! Thanks for sharing!
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  23. Too cute for words - amazing job!!!!!!!!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete

I am head over heels you took the time to leave me a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...