Thursday, December 8, 2011

Christmas decorating

Decorating for the holidays has been an ongoing event since Thanksgiving. Each year my style changes, how could it not, with all these amazing and inspirational blogs and pinterest showcasing their Christmas decorations.

With a small house, my decorating style is more about adding holiday decor to the mix and avoiding a lot of 'decorations'. Less is more.

With a house that is almost 100 years old, we have no electrical outlets on the outside of our house. I guess Christmas lights weren't important 100 years ago {I tease}. That leaves me with my flower boxes to decorate. Using some clippings from our Christmas tree, I filled our flower boxes and stuck some ornaments in there for a pop of color.


My Hallmark reindeer are in place. Not a creature was stirring, not even a puggle {which truly is a Christmas miracle}.


Herman the head is a huge fan of Christmas. Every year, he not only gets to hold my glasses but he also gets to wear a Santa hat.


In our dining room, I tried to create a stacked book tree. I'm still looking for a few more books to give it that triangle tree shape.


My husband dared to brave those black Friday sales and as a result, I have a house filled with .99 cent poinsettias.


In my kitchen some more small touches.


My favorite, a thrift store chunky frame, spray painted white with a glass ornament hanging in the middle.




Though we have 'compromised' on the masks...this little gargoyle (a souvenir from New Orleans) is still on display. In efforts to give him more holiday spirit, he has his own stocking.


Our Christmas tree. I teased my husband it kind of reminds me of the Leaning Tower of Pisa but I guess when you have a real tree, the imperfections are what makes it perfect.


These are a few of my favorite ornaments. I am a collector of Hallmark ornaments BUT being as frugal as I am, I always wait until after Christmas, when their ornaments are marked down 75% to add a few new ones to my collection.


Our stockings are hung by the window with care.


And, my favorite newest addition to my Christmas decor, a framed picture of my dad as a little boy visiting Santa. I have no words to describe it other than love.


Happy decorating!

2 comments:

  1. Oh - I love your tree all wrapped up in a ribbon - what a great idea... as for the photo of Grace's granddaddy in awe of Santa - I love it too and I'm not even related - he just looks so darn cute! x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!

    Great article, very inspiring.

    In case you need Christmas images, take a look at this website: https://mirapic.com

    They have a lot of beautiful Christmas pictures for free.

    I thought I might help.

    Anyway, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

I am head over heels you took the time to leave me a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...