Thursday, January 3, 2013

Photography Tip - Tungsten Light

Are you ready to get to know your camera?


My number one rule, in taking pictures, is to try and use natural light as much as possible.  With that being said, we all know that isn't always possible, as was the case this past holiday.

In an attempt to get a picture of all the cousins, on my husband's side, we took a birth order picture.  Each cousin held a sign representing when they entered the family. 


I loved the concept but had to resort to using the house lights (tungsten light) and a flash.  Gasp, I know.  The result, the picture has more yellow tones to it.

On our ride home, I figured out how to fix it.  I discovered if you take your camera off of automatic, you can set the white balance. 

My camera was set on AWB (automatic white balance) for the birth order picture I took.  So, the camera decided what it thought represented 'white' the best.  BUT, if you take it off of AWB, you can tell tell your camera what kind of light you are shooting in.  Had I selected tungsten light, I could have corrected the color cast and my picture would not have looked as yellow.

Overwhelmed yet?  Hang in there.

You'll also want to set your camera to AV (the aperture mode).


Then, set the ISO speed to the highest setting (I pushed mine to 1600).  Set your aperture to the lowest setting (I set mine to F4.5).  Your camera should have a dial, mine is near the shutter release button (the button you press to take your pictures), that dial will allow you to change your settings.


Ready to see the difference?

Taking a picture using only house lighting (tungsten lighting), leaving your camera on the automatic setting, using no flash, your picture will look something like this.


Taking your camera off of the automatic setting, setting your ISO to the highest setting, your aperture to the lowest and setting the white balance to tungsten lighting (all as described above), the color cast will be removed from your photo and the result should look something like this.


Can you believe the difference?

25 comments:

  1. WOW! That really makes a difference. I got a new camera a little over a month ago and I'm still trying to figure it all out. Great info!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tip Amy! What a difference! I'm still working with a pretty old digital, but can't wait to get a new camera this year sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tip and not too hard! I've been messing with white balance for fun, but the aperture and ISO are great tips to know!

    Thanks!
    Kristy @ Shona Skye Creations
    http://shonaskye.blogspot.Com

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for this tip Amy! I am not good at taking photos at all but thanks to picmonkey and instagram for helping me edit! Plus, i don't have a nice fancy camera too, i sometimes use my iphone or that old camera and edit it...
    just wish one of these days, an awesome camera will just be delivered right through my door :)

    huggies***
    rea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Makes sense...but my camera ain't that fancy :) It does have plenty of settings...but I will have to play around. Definitely I always try to take pics when it's nice and sunny (which lately has been a nightmare!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for this tip about tungsten light! I've been playing with ISO settings lately and cannot believe the difference in the coloring of the pictures. I am reading a book right now to learn how to use my canon out of manual. :) Megan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Right now, I am trying to take a picture of the snow outside in automatic mode - and the camera is taking in too much light and it is washed out! SO ready to learn manual already! So imagine my surprise when I saw this just now! Thanks for the great tip Amy!!! What a difference...I can't tell you how many of those yellow pictures I have! Pinning for reference :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another amazing talent! I received a new camera for Christmas that has all of those features you have adjusted.... I use automatic.... Clueless. Maybe you can give lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Amy. I'm sure this was great advice but my eyes got all swimmy and then I had to sit down. ;) I just need you to come over and show me how to do it in person. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an awesome tip! I definitely need to try this on my photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Huge difference! Is yours a dslr? I love that idea of birth order, really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post, thanks for the before and after photos to show what a difference it makes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What wonderful tips! Thank you dear Amy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's an amazing tip! I think I will need to give it a try ...

    And Happy New Year my friend!

    :) Linda

    ReplyDelete
  15. White balance is one of the hardest areas to get right, you did good. And that photo of the pigtailed princess with the Poloroid, TDC.... too darn cute!

    Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome! Thanks for the tip! I need to add this to my notebook!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm pinning this to my photography board. I'm still using point and shoot.. but do eventually plan on getting an SLR. Thanks for sharing this great tip!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Amy,
    Such smart ideas as usual! Really helpful to your readers also. I had similiar results with my food photos when I went from indoor lighting to natural lighting. I have a point and shoot camera, so it was actually a matter of taking my photos outside! I don't have any good indoor natural lighting. But it hasn't been too difficult to move everything outside, and the results have been really worth it.
    Thanks for sharing! Di

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am now of the belief that you are 10,000 times smarter than me. I will have to try this. Maybe. My camera scares me. It doesn't like it when I mess with it's buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  20. my new camera literally arrived today and i'm supposed to be googling how to use it, but surfed blogs instead as is my wont. now i know what the dial is for AND how to get rid of the orangy glow annoying me in my very first snaps. brilliant! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I had heard about being able to play with white balance, but I had no idea where it was on my camera. THANKS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome! I just got a new camera and although I had messed with white balance before I'd forgotten about the tungsten setting! Thanks so much! For the birth of my kids, I had the forethought to use the setting that allows you to tell the camera what white is. The hospital sheets are perfect. With the mixture of florescent, and what ever that crazy circular light is, my husband was able to capture some great (after birth) photos! And the color is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh..visiting via Bonbon Break! :)

      Delete
    2. I'm jealous. I had no clue about white balance when my daughter was born. I thought that the flash was the answer back then. At least I've learned how to use my camera while she is still young enough to get plenty more good quality pictures.

      Delete
  23. I love the cousin picture. We're hoping to do the same idea with our family (there's 11 cousins, 8 of whom were born in the last 4 years)

    ReplyDelete

I am head over heels you took the time to leave me a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...