Friday, November 22, 2013

Children's Art Pillow

School is in full swing.

First run on Bonbon Break

And the art, so lovingly created, is already stacking up.


Sure, I'll hang most of it up and at the end of the year I'll store it away in a box labeled kindergarten.

But the problem with storing it away in a box is just that...it is stored away in a box.

Out of sight, out of mind.

So, instead, I'll appreciate it.  I'll use it.  I'll decorate with it.  Sure, I could frame it but why not turn some of that art into a custom pillow.


Don't worry, if you don't sew, you can use a pre-made pillow {as long as the case is removable from the pillow}.

To get started, you and your little Picasso can pick your favorite masterpieces.  Set up a photo shoot and take some crisp clear pictures of the artwork you want to use.


Next import your photographed art into PicMonkey, a free photo editing website, and create a collage.  Have fun figuring out the design and arrangement.  If you want to add a quote, or the grade the collection of art was created, pull your newly created collage into PicMonkey's 'edit a photo' tab. 


If you decide to add a quote, or if the art work itself uses words or numbers, you will need to transpose your image.  This can also be done with PicMonkey, in the basic edits section under rotate.


Pull your image into a word document to determine the size you want.  Print a test page on copier paper to check the size.  When you have the size you want, print it on the transfer paper.


Cut your image out, leaving some excess around the edge of the image. 
 

Center the transfer paper, face down, onto the fabric source you want to adhere it to and iron it on. White fabric will work best since the transfer paper does have a transparent quality to it.

*If applying it to a pillow, make sure you remove the pillow prior to ironing.


When the paper has cooled, gently peel the backing of the transfer paper off.  The image is now permanently affixed to the fabric.


And, a custom pillow is ready to be proudly displayed.


The possibilities are endless.  Using this transfer paper technique you could add the collage to a tote bag, a tee shirt, or even a quilt.

I love the idea of creating different squares of treasured artwork, one for each year of school, and displaying them in a quilt that will certainly never be forgotten.


Picasso was right, every child is an artist so why not proudly display their creations.



14 comments:

  1. This is such a clever idea, Amy! I absolutely love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love this idea Amy... it's always been one of my favorites! I especially love the idea of the quilt. I really need to get myself a good printer. If you don't mind me asking, which one do you have and has it always been good to you? I'm always arguing with mine so I end up nixing any ideas that I have involving printing. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maysem. My printer is just a standard printer, nothing fancy. It's been fine for my purposes.

      Delete
  3. This is a great idea Amy, and I love that quote by Picasso. The whole quote is one of my favourites. The second part is "The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up", and it reminds me that we need to keep the inner child within us alive. We can't let the practicalities of life drum the creativity out of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this so much!!! I pick and choose what art gets saved...and most of it doesn't. :( Just a handful of pieces a year. I think this is a great way of really enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic idea. This would make an awesome grandparents gift as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea, as always! I have saved some art work and put them in an album (project life, have you heard of it?).

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a very cool idea! Leave it to you! The idea of the quilt is awesome and it looks like you are already starting it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant! Seriously! I have an entire flat file of the kids' art. I am definitely going to try this :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is absolutely brilliant! I love transfer paper for all sorts of things, but I love this idea so much, very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Transfer paper is so much fun. It's easy to use and I've been told that it washes fairly well. And, I have heard of Spoonflower. If I had a budget bigger than a Goodwill budget, I'd be having so much fun designing my own fabric!

    ReplyDelete

I am head over heels you took the time to leave me a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...