Wednesday, July 10, 2013

100 Year Old House - Back Deck

In preparation for the 'Summer Showcase of Homes', it seem only fitting I try and wrap up the tour of our 100 year old home.

One of the reasons we decide to buy our home was the screened in cedar back deck.


Ironically, though, for the past 6 years, we've barely used our back deck.   Distracted with renovations on the inside of our house, the deck was ignored...until this year.

This year, we invested in a new door.


And, we replaced the white ceiling fans with 2 new ceiling fans.


Before you start thinking we've gotten all fancy on you, what with buying things like ceiling fans and new doors, we still have plenty of thrifted, free, flea markets and even roadside rescue items.

Remember the chairs my husband found on the side of the road (read roadside rescue).


We used them on our back deck.


And, we (as in me) made some custom cushions for those chairs.


As well as a few pillows.


We added some flea market finds.


We hung some pictures and planted some flowers.


And, we hung some curtains in the 4 corners of the deck.


The curtains provided a coziness to the deck and also helped define the space. 


And here is the view from the other side of the deck.


Including some more whimsical decor like a bull dog bottle cap opener and some of the woodaholic's wood creations (shameless plug...similar wood creations for sale in the While Wearing Heels Etsy Shop).


And now, the back deck is no longer ignored, it's become our favorite place to spend our days and our nights.

28 comments:

  1. i would so sit out there and chill with you (with a glass of wine), of course! love those chairs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Amy, I love your outside space. And I love how you have it decorated. The curtains are great! Very cozy space. I would love to sit out there and enjoy nature, maybe an IPA :) We are big porch dwellers so no surprise I would love it. #porchtime #withmylove is a fav!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The chairs turned out amazing! I love this porch. Maybe I'll come over for a visit to relax back there..ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. This space is SO cozy. The curtains were the perfect touch to kind of blanket it! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it. How fun and it looks amazing. Love the curtains and the rug. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great make over! Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a fabulous space. Your pillows and cushions are beautiful I hope one day I can come and bring a bottle of wine and sit a while :) also as always Mr. WWH has a way with wood, so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally want to come and hang out back there with you!! Beautiful job :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it. It is so cozy and inviting. I want one. That is the one thing missing from my house. One of these days (years) I will build one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now I want a screened-in deck/porch! I love the addition of the curtains and re-padded rescued chairs. I love when you bring the inside outside because it certainly brings a coziness. Love the nautical/floral/red theme!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love every square inch! i especially love the 4 curtains in the corners - what a clever an impacting design element!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you lived closer, I'd invite you over to chat on the back deck.

      Delete
  12. Thanks so much Amy. Those chairs caused quite the fight between me and the Mister. I did not want to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh gorgeous makeover! Love the new cushions and that thrifted sailboat is fab! What a lovely space to relax in.

    Hugs, Estelle xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's gorgeous, Amy! I've always loved the idea of a screened-in porch- and your decor is fabulous, as always. I love your fox! I want him!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amy that is one beautiful screened porch! I miss having one! Perfect place to watch it rain! Those chairs look great too...I think your husband had some vision there. Love the flower box on the window too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic updates. I love the red, and the woodaholics chair find?..... he did good.
    Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job out there! I love what you did with the chairs...the man has a good eye.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your screened in deck. We don't have one...I don't think it would work with our home and location. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I luv it all! I wish we had a screened in porch, so we wouldn't be cared away by mosquitos.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Oh Oh...love it! I hadn't noticed when I first saw you post about the roadside rescue chairs, but they look EXACTLY like Room&Board chairs! What a FIND!!! The look beautiful with the new cushions and nestled in your screened in porch. Swoon!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Amy,
    How absolutely lovely. I think my favorite part is the curtains, just because you don't often see them on porches and decks...and because I would LOVE some privacy on my front porch.
    By the way, skipping ahead, I bet I know which of your new social networks you're addicted to, heehee!! :) Di {CookTheTV}

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amazing makeover as always! I love your sense of interior design.. you really are a natural Amy!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your back deck is much better with ceiling fans around, so it's really a great decision that you installed not just one, but two! I think your new fans are more beautiful than the previous one. The color and style matched with the wood veneer ceiling. It has a light shade surface already, so it was just right to go with a pitch-dark ceiling fan.

    Staci Severns @ Brooklyn Fan & Blower Sales Company

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am glad to find amazing information from the blog. Thanks for sharing the information. for more useful Information visit
    best mist fan supplier in dubai

    ReplyDelete

I am head over heels you took the time to leave me a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...