Monday, May 13, 2013

Goodwill Hunting Roundup

Goodwill hunting roundup was almost cancelled this month.

My go to Goodwill store has undergone a makeover.  To most, the makeover was probably appreciated.  The aisles were widened.  More shelves were added.  Things became organized.

Sigh.

I have determined part of my thrifting success could be attributed to my desire to dig or hunt for what could be buried in piles.  With organized shelves, no digging is required.  All the fabulous finds are right there for all to see.

I had considered simply showing you my 'flea market find'...a vintage porcelain vase (?), made in England (and we all now, anything made in England has to be fabulous, right?).  It was missing a lid but when filled with flowers, that doesn't really matter, does it?  The tag said $7 but at flea markets you rarely pay what is on the tag.  We paid $6 for this sweet vase.


Close to giving up on Goodwill altogether, this past Friday night, I dragged my handsome husband over there.  Within 5 minutes, I spent more at Goodwill than I have all year.

I came across this bunny deviled egg platter for $3.99.  I remember seeing it being sold at Target just before Easter for $17.99.  I saw it shortly after Easter, on clearance for $9.99 and still left it sitting on the shelves.  Well, when this bunny platter followed me to Goodwill with a $3.99 price tag, I could no longer play hard to get.


Moments later, I spied this green glass footed bowl for $2.99.  It has a vintage vibe to it, though, I am not sure if it is actually vintage or not. 


For $1.99, this vintage floral platter made it's way into my hands. Sweet yellow flowers go around the border of this platter.  (Curious why I am collecting so many dishes?  I have another party to plan!).


The real reason I dragged my husband to Goodwill was because I had spotted this vintage desk through the window.  It was $39.99 so I hemmed and hawed about whether we should or shouldn't buy it. 


We walked around the store for a few minutes while I thought about the beautiful details like the dovetailed drawers, the curves and the beautiful wood detail.  


Before we decided to buy it (which we did eventually do)...

We came across a headboard for a twin bed.  Grace is still in a toddler bed, which she is QUICKLY outgrowing.  Though this headboard wasn't quite what we had in mind for her, it had potential $14.99


So, for $14.99 we decided to add this solid wood headboard to our cart as well.


Both the desk and the headboard will get a little makeover, with a little help from my friend...


And, I do believe I'll be steering clear of Goodwill, for the sake of my wallet, for a few weeks.

What treasures have you found recently?

Linked up to:


25 comments:

  1. WOW!Lots of great finds this time. I can't wait to see what you do with the desk and bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so JEALOUS! That platter with the jonquils?? To. Die. For. I would paint that raised panel in the headboard with chalkboard paint and let baby girl draw all over it, but I am also the mom who encouraged her kid to go to art school, so there you have it. I am always the impractical mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We both posted our thrifting finds today! Love that deviled egg plate and can't wait to see what you do to the headboard!!!!!! The desk is precious also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You would be a FUN friend to hang out with! I love going to dig and walk around for hours looking at flea markets, antiques malls and Goodwill. And I also post my finds when I go. Haven't been in a while.
    I LOVE the desk! Can't wait to see what you do with it.
    Thanks for visiting my blog yesterday! I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day. I enjoyed my Chocolate Lasagna. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good scouting! Love the headboard and especially the desk. Can't wait to see their makeovers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh...I LOVE the furniture finds!!! I wish we had such treasures at our Goodwill! I need to come across two twin headboards soon :) Can't wait to see how they look all fabbed up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are quite the finds! I love that desk - I think that $40 is still a steal! It's hard to find those vintage pieces with the nooks and crannys and details. And when you do - the seller often knows that they can charge exorbitant amounts for them.

    I can't wait to see what Grace's bed looks like! I'm on a hunt for a big girl bed for Lucy right now. I think I need to go back to the thrift stores again... maybe I'll be as lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would have snagged that desk too. It's amazing. Can't wait to hear about the party you are planning

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know what you mean Amy! My two Salvation Army stores in the area have spruced themselves up recently, and their prices have gone up because of it. It's harder to find those good deals that I'm used to.

    I can sooo relate to walking around the store while deliberating about buying a piece that's a little more than I would normally pay, but my bottom line is always... I have to love it.

    You did find some fabulous pieces, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the desk and headboard.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking forward to the finished products. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. this makes me want to go thrifting since i have not been in awhile. and i love the desk! looking forward to seeing the finished result. have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. still you saved SO MUCH by buying use and repurposing. It's good to splurge every once in a while...especially if it's a great deal on something you need

    ReplyDelete
  13. i can't wait to see what you do with the desk! glad to hear your faith in goodwill has been restored!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the dest and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do! x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I am going to be watching you makeover those furniture pieces as I am doing a few myself soon and am totally clueless! I love that bunny dish and the green glass one as well! Glad you haven't lost your hunting skills!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the vase, very nice find, but the desk, I can't get over the prices you guys pick things up for, that is going to be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't wait to see how the chalkboard paint is used on these fab Goodwill finds! I haven't been to a thrift store lately. Last time I was there, I scored a nice blazer for $6 and two shirts, that have yet to be altered. When I go to thrift stores, I'm more into clothes and accessories than housewares. Can't wait to see this part you are you planning!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Girl, you HAD TO BUY THAT DESK..how do we spell S T E A L??? And you know "we" understand about the Bunny platter/wishing I run into one of those.

    Jonell

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ahh!! The bunny platter is PERFECT!!

    And of course the desk is to die for. Can't wait to see what you do with it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am absolutely loving that desk! What a find. I am so excited to see what you do with both the desk and the headboard. I love your little sneak peak of the paint.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your goodwill posts! I always think of you when I am shopping goodwill! Great finds - and even though you spent a bit of cash look how much more you would have spent if you had bought it anywhere besides goodwill!!
    I love that desk - can't wait to see what you and your friend Annie do with it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amy,
    Oh how I have come to love it when I read on your blog: it has POTENTIAL....can't wait to see some furniture re-dos:)
    That bunny platter is way too cute, love it!
    Thanks for sharing your finds, sorry they destroyed your goodwill, however, you sure made the best of it,heehee.
    Di

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lots of lovely things here. Looking fwd to the revamps too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. the desk, the yellow flowered plater, the vase, *SWOON* and i so want to come to one of your parties!! another reason to move north!

    ReplyDelete

I am head over heels you took the time to leave me a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...