Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Goodwill Hunting Roundup

It's that time of month where I recap my thrifted finds.  So, without further ado...

Goodwill is the perfect place to find vases (and baskets). 

I found this silver vase for $1.99.  The shape off the vase has a loving cup feel.  


I also found this glass vase for .99 cents which I customized and turned into a faux perfume bottle vase.


Often times, Goodwill will buy overstock or returned items from Target.  I had, at one point, assumed Target donated their merchandise to Goodwill.  This is not the case, Target sells their merchandise at a discount to Goodwill and Goodwill, in turn, will then sell it.

I found a shabby chic pink Threshold candle for .99.  The lowest Target price was $2.98. 


No trip to Goodwill is complete, for me, without looking through their coats.

I found this vintage trench for $4.99.  I loved the label (and it was made in Chicago).  I wasn't sure the style was completely me, especially for $4.99.  I scoured this coat to see if there were any flaws, wear and or tear.  Under the arm, I discovered the seam had come out under one of the arms.  *If ever you find a missing button or a tear ask the manager if they will knock something off the price. 


I brought the coat to a manager, who looked at the ripped seam and offered to take half off the coat.

For $2.50, I think this coat is definitely my style.


I get a lot of comments about how 'my' Goodwill has great prices.  In reality, though, I only show my thrifted purchases AND I only make a thrifted purchase if it's a great price.

Last month, I stumbled across a Kids Kraft pink play kitchen in BEAUTIFUL shape for $7.  This month, I stumbled across this Barbie house for $49.99.  *I did not buy this Barbie house.  I found it interesting, in comparison to the kitchen set I found, this was priced over $40 more. 


I also came across this metal Rainbow Brite stove, which I also did NOT buy.  It was fun to look at.  The cost was $35.99.

Now it's your turn. What thrifted finds have you splurged on this past month?  Or what thrifted finds did you pass up?

Until next time, happy thrifting.

24 comments:

  1. You definitely show your thrifty side when a darling coat that's priced at 4.99 is too high!
    I, too, have asked for a discount in Goodwill. Whether they give a discount or not,they take it in stride that you ask. I have been in a few local charity thrift stores where they get offended if you ask because as they say, it's a donation. I guess Goodwill is used to it though, plus they have lots of stores, unlike many charity thrifts.
    I will have to start looking at coats. I have a thing for labels too:) Thanks for showing us these awesome finds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the trench! I so would've bought the rainbowbrite oven even if I was way oo expensive I used to love her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness what great finds. Okay I feel a little better that there are some marked up prices at your goodwill. They wanted $75 dollars at mine last week for an overhead projector. I almost passed out. :) That Rainbow Brite stove would have been something I would have loved as a kid. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got some good stuff!!! I think the coat looks very cute on you, and I agree with your theory, it's only a good deal...if it's a really good deal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, those two last items are pricy!! I have never seen such high prices at our goodwill. Definitely they will eventually mark them down :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That coat is amazing!
    Well my recent finds that I did not pay a cent for are vintage aluminum tumblers. My mother is director of a non-profit organization that gets in ALL kinds of stuff. A lot of it has to be trashed. These tumblers were for the trash because the inside bottoms were in bad shape...not suited for drinking. I have no idea what I'll do with them, but they are great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such cool finds... that Rainbow Brite stove is daaaated. I wonder how old it is? I'm with you - it's not a good deal, unless it's a TRUE thrift store price. Our Goodwill has days when they mark different colors of tags down... I usually shop, then..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great finds. I actually went to Goodwill last Thursday and found nothing. It was either too high or not what I was looking for. But you scored!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I finally did it!!! I walked into the Goodwill with high hopes and a 50% mailer coupon the week after my patio umbrella took flight and crashed to the ground. Wouldn't you know it...a larger umbrella (9ft+) with a pulley system and tiltable rod was waiting there for me, marked at $19.99. Even with my coupon, it marked all the way down to $5.99!!! Perfect condition, great quality and even the colors of my old one! A similar one in the stores would be at least $100...so if his one takes flight again, I won't feel so sad (or will I, since it was such a steal?!?). Great finds Amy! Always look forward to these posts. And...love the jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  10. omgosh that coat is *AH MAAAYYYY ZING* (said in a sing song voice) I might steal it too lol! that does surprise me about the Barbie house. omword - rainbow bright oh she was my BEST friend growing up - I wanted to BE her!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That coat is *darling* and you look so good in it. I wonder what its history might be...

    ReplyDelete
  12. i loved rainbow bright as a kid, that would have been a hard piece for me to pass on :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the jacket. I think it is great how you do your shopping. :-) I will remember about asking the manager when I see a rip. Good advice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The coat is great! You made the right choice.

    That Rainbow Brite oven is soooo appealing. But $35!?!? Gah! I understand why you passed.

    Sometimes the pricing can seem a bit abitrary in our thrift stores too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the coat - really suits you and what a good price! You find the best things. I would've loved the Rainbow Brite oven, adored her as a child :) Bit pricey though!

    Hugs, Estelle xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great finds Amy! I just bought a carload of stuff from a lady yesterday. A bunch of cool stuff with a few pieces of not so cool stuff thrown in - the price was about 3 bucks a piece when divided out - which is GREAT considering some of the stuff is worth a LOT!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love, love, love that coat! So you! I am still not doing any thrifting or shopping. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  18. that trench is oh so you! hope you are doing well...things have been a bit crazy so i have not been able to keep up with blogs. you've inspired me to get my thrift on this weekend;) have a great rest of the week...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am always tempted with those too small finds :). That Chanel jacket sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous finds Amy! Makes me want to go thrifting :) This summer has been so crazy busy I haven't even stopped at one garage sale or goodwill store since it got warm.

    Love that coat! Very cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the Chanel no 5 vase and cute coat. I don't have much luck at thrift stores. But that's ok!

    ReplyDelete

I am head over heels you took the time to leave me a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...