Wednesday, June 19, 2013

While on vacation..

After Grace's bunny birthday extravaganza, we escaped to Wisconsin.


Although, we didn't stay here.

This sweet little play cabin, which was made by my dad, belongs to Grace and her two cousins.  Daily tea parties were enjoyed here.


Part of what I love about going to Wisconsin is that I have access to the Queen of Quilts, who helps me figure out projects like how to make a child's apron, which I will happily show you how to make (tutorial to follow...eventually).


The Queen of Quilts also taught me the basics of crochet and I began a crocheted baby blanket using a tutorial from Modern Grace.


It must have looked like fun because Grace insisted on crocheting her own blanket.  Of course, her attention span only allowed her to make a tiny scarf for her Barbie.


And, I was able to visit my embroidered USA quilt, which is next on The Queen of Quilts' long arm, waiting to be quilted.


Some other projects from the weekend included, a simple, no sew(!) kite shaped hair bow holder I had pinned from Ruffles and Stuff over a year ago.


I finished another ABC sampler.  Though, to be fair, I only had 7 letters that needed to be completed.  


AND, I finally drew up another Matryoshka doll.  I've only just begun to embroider her, since we return from Wisconsin.


Of course the week was filled with more than just craft projects. 

We took daily boat rides, enjoying feeling the wind in our hair...er, I mean ears.


Proud moments were experienced as I happily watched my sweet little girl catching fish (8 in total), with her grandpa, using hot dogs as bait because she didn't want to hurt any worms.


And, I was reminded, that life truly is made of the little moments.

23 comments:

  1. What a beautiful vacation. I'm so jealous of the crochet lessons I have tried so many times but just don't get it. Hot dogs are obviously good bait

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I love the last picture....so sweet.
    The boys fish with wieners too and frozen corn. I love children's faces when they catch that fish. JOY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awe! my heart just squeezed while reading this and seeing all the pix! it is the little moments. I can never get the turn on crocheting I can crochet a straight line to go around the world but not turn back! I luv that gracie didn't want to hurt any worms, such a sweet, tender heart. be still my heart - the Russian doll - is she a cousin to mine? I will HAVE to keep an eye out for her in the shop! You come from a family full of talent! that play house is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great trip! I love that Grace used hot dogs as bait...so so cute. :) You got a lot done there...and everything looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So fish like hot dogs, huh? Who knew?

    Those are great pictures! You deserved a break after hosting that perfect party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE the wind in the ears and proud fish pic! I'm glad you shared your vacation! FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so excited that you're learning to crochet! It's such a lovely craft and I love it so much. I can't wait to see your first completed creation.

    PS: Yeah for family getaway vacations!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you crochet! I am just starting to get the hang of it. It helps that it's a lot of single, half double and double all in a row. You'll have to let me know what you've made...you might inspire me to try another project.

      Delete
  8. I so want to lay on that deck and feel the wind in my ears :) hope you are all relaxed now

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy moly Amy...I thought you were suppose to relax on vacation ;-). The USA quilt is looking AMAZING! I love the border. And that kite hair bow holder is soooo cute! Wish I had some bows. Also, I couldn't help smile when I read this post. Of course your parents are insanely crafty, creative and talented. Not surprised at all. But my favorite picture of all was of Grace fishing. I did a lot of fishing with my dad growing up. I was the only 8 year-old I knew with her own fly fishing pole and waders. ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your dad made that cabin, oh my goodness, how professional and super cute! I'm so jealous :). And awww, a tiny scarf for her Barbie sounds like a perfect first crochet for a newly 5-yr old! Your mom certainly is the Queen of Quilts! Does that make you the princess?? You seemed super productive on vacation. All that fresh air musta done ya good. Hehe with the air through the dog's hair/ears! Yay for hot dog bait!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That cabin is so cool!!... and the trip looked like a fun filled, relaxing mini vacay. Thanks for sharing your pics with us! :)
    -Heather
    www.stringtownhome.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Heather. It definitely was a good way to start our summer.

      Delete
  12. Now we know where you got all your creativity from! I wish I had a play house like that when I was a little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like you had an amazing time on your vacation! I love the play log cabin! How fun! And I can't wait to see your quilt finished! I'm so glad you had a great time with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fun photos and story, Amy. :-) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun vacation! Love all of your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE the USA embroidery. Looks like a fun time was had by all!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think I love Grace's gramma and grandpa. Clearly Riley is all ears about the whole thing.
    Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a lovely, relaxing vacation! I love that last picture! So precious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE your embroidery! I have not embroidered since high school but I have been wanting to do it again...you are motivating me! Do you have a pattern for the ABC embroidery you are doing or did you draw it yourself? You are SO SO SO talented my friend! I just love following you - you make everything beautiful (I loved the twine and stars too - simple and yet perfect).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Janiene. The embroider is a pattern from Rosy Posy Things. I've made 5 of those samplers and I have enjoyed making each and every one. It's a great pattern even for someone beginning to learn embroidery.

      Delete
  20. Hi Amy,
    LOVE your beautiful photography (as usual!)
    Wow, I can see now just how lazy my mom and I really are when she comes for a visit! haha
    Thanks for sharing:) Di

    ReplyDelete

I am head over heels you took the time to leave me a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...