Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Grace's Big Girl Room - An Update

We are slowly making progress with Grace's transition from little girl room to big girl room

Eventually there will be a big reveal but for now, I'll share a glimpse of what we've accomplished.

I painted the back of her bookshelf pink, to which Grace exclaimed, I always wanted pink in my room.  I'll count that as a seal of approval.


I'm working on decorating the shelves.  Just like the rest of our house, the shelves will have a mix of homemade items (quilts, from the Queen of Quilts, a baby blanket turned monogrammed piece of art, the stained glass butterfly made by my father in law), thrifted items (the school house letter g in the picture above and the little silver rabbit) and pictures.


The chandelier I've always hoped to add to our house has been bought. 


And, thanks to my dad, finally hung.


One of Grace's first dresses has been mounted in an ornate frame and is hung above her new big girl bed.


The big girl bed was the biggest transition from little girl room to big girl room.  We finally got rid of her toddler bed and upgraded to a big girl bed.  Grace had fun testing out mattresses.


All beds need a headboard.  We found a $14 thrifted headboard  from Goodwill.


A few coats of white paint and the addition of a wooden embellishment (from Home Depot) gives the headboard some much needed character and charm.


The queen of quilts is making progress on Grace's quilt.


Which, when completed, will go so perfectly with the princess toile sheets we found.


But, the most surprising addition to Grace's room came from the generosity of a fellow blogger. 


The very thoughtful and generous Michelle from Heart Made Mess surprised me by sending an antique brush and comb set to Grace.  {Thank you so much Michelle!}

We are getting closer to the big reveal.

29 comments:

  1. LOVE it all! And can't wait to see the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her room is promising to be gorgeous! I love the ceiling medallion, and that quilt is going to be just lovely when it's done. I wish I had a room half that nice when I was growing up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH my gosh I love the chandelier! Can't wait to see the finished room :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVING it so far! Lucky little gal. ;) I love the framed dress... thought it was brilliant back then and still think it brilliant now. The chandelier is the perfect addition to any little girl's room. My niece has one just like it but if I remember correctly her's is pink.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a beautiful room! I absolutely love the chandelier and her new quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's looking beautiful in there. I need to have your dad come over to hang a few light fixtures ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure he would happily visit CA to hang lights for you :)

      Delete
  7. What a lovely gift! That antique set is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow the update is looking so beautiful, you're doing an amazingjob, I might move in!! What a beautiful and very generous gift that's lovely, what a wonderful place blog land can be :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can you believe that chandelier was from Home Depot for just under $100!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to see it. Love the chandelier!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh amy thank you so much, it was truly my pleasure to give it to her. I am just so glad that she luvs it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, I LOVE the vintage antique brush and comb set. May I ask where you got it from? I am sure grace will feel like royalty using this! its beautiful!
      And Amy I love the changes in the room :) Looks great!
      xoxo

      Delete
    2. it was from an antique shop in Brenham TX. I luv antiquing!

      Delete
  12. I love it Amy! I like to think that my whole life would be different if I had that beautiful chandelier hanging in my childhood room! LOL! I especially love that she took her stuffed animal with her to test mattresses!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love what you have going on there! that headboard is amazing! Love what you did with that - and a chandi is always a great addition!

    ReplyDelete
  14. great job on that headboard! I Love it white with the embellishment. I also really love that chandelier. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love all the unique touches. The dress in the frame, the prettiness on the pink shelves, the brush and comb. She's going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, it's all so beautiful Amy. Have you ever shown a close up of the butterfly? That looks pretty cool. I love the antique brush set, my grandma had a set on her dresser when I was little, reminds me of her:) I love that a fellow blogger sent it...aren't are blogging friends so sweet?
    I think my favorite is still the dress in the frame...you will both love that for years to come:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, it's all so beautiful Amy. Have you ever shown a close up of the butterfly? That looks pretty cool. I love the antique brush set, my grandma had a set on her dresser when I was little, reminds me of her:) I love that a fellow blogger sent it...aren't are blogging friends so sweet?
    I think my favorite is still the dress in the frame...you will both love that for years to come:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, it's all so beautiful Amy. Have you ever shown a close up of the butterfly? That looks pretty cool. I love the antique brush set, my grandma had a set on her dresser when I was little, reminds me of her:) I love that a fellow blogger sent it...aren't are blogging friends so sweet?
    I think my favorite is still the dress in the frame...you will both love that for years to come:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. So gorgeous! I am in love with everything in that room. The headboard is amazing! I want a big girl room!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Her room is going to be so cute! I love what you did with the headboard. And that brush and comb set are awesome!

    ReplyDelete

I am head over heels you took the time to leave me a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...